Turkey Pot Pie
A hearty turkey pot pie full of healthy vegetables and savoury, comforting flavours.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots peeled and cut in quarters
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 medium sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium russet potato peeled and finely diced
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cup baby Brussels sprouts
- 1 small fennel bulb diced (or 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound cooked turkey cut in one-inch cubes
Herbed Crust Ingredients
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil or Crisco or another vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Pinch salt about 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup water
In a large sauté pan, cook the onion, shallots and sliced mushrooms in the olive oil until the onions are transparent and the mushrooms are slightly browned.
Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, fennel, Brussels sprouts, and peas and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the wine and the butter.
Mix the flour in the milk and pour it into the vegetables, stirring until the sauce is smooth and thickened and the vegetables are crisp tender, about 15 minutes.
Add the herbs, turkey, salt and pepper and stir.
Remove the bay leaf and discard it.
To prepare the crust, mix the whole wheat pastry flour and unbleached flour together in a food processor using the dough blade.
Add the oil (or shortening), herbs and salt and mix well to form a dough.
Add up to 1/2 cup water (a little at a time) if the dough seems too dry.
Cut the dough in half and roll into a 13-inch circle.
If using a bottom crust (we didn't use a bottom crust), fit the dough into a 1-quart, oiled, baking dish and trim the edges, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang.
Put It Together & Bake
Spoon the filling into the bottom crust.
Roll out the second half of the dough into a 12-inch circle.
Place it over the filling and trim the edges of the dough.
Make 4 incisions in the top crust with a knife to serve as vents.
Bake the potpie at 350°F degrees for 45 minutes, or until the top crust is golden brown.
Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Calories: 966kcalCarbohydrates: 83gProtein: 25gFat: 55gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 802mgPotassium: 1264mgFiber: 11gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 9900IUVitamin C: 34mgCalcium: 238mgIron: 5mg